Do you know mold can grow inside your air ducts? It’s true, so if you’ve been experiencing respiratory issues, skin rashes, itchy eyes, or even brain fog, those microscopic fungal spores may be to blame. At Dust Doctors, in our thousands upon thousands of duct cleaning hours, we’ve seen plenty of mold where homeowners would never think to look. Today, we’re discussing how to tell if you have mold in your air ducts, and what you can do about it if you do.
How To Determine If Mold Is Growing In Your Air Ducts
Whether or not you suspect a mold problem in your ductwork, it never hurts to inspect the system for signs of fungal growth. Mold, mildew, and other microscopic organisms thrive in dark, damp, dirty environments, which makes your air ducts a perfect stomping ground for all manner of nasty growths. Here’s how to tell if you’re dealing with a ductwork mold problem:
● Smell the vent. Mold has a distinct musty odor, so if your vents or your home smell musty, there may be mold present.
● Examine the vent and opening. Open the vent grate and use a flashlight to peer within the duct. If you observe splotches, colored spotting, or signs of black, pink, or green growths, you’re likely dealing with mold.
● Look for moisture. If you see condensation on the outside of your vents or within your air ducts, there’s a good chance mold isn’t far away.
● Have a professional mold test. Even if you can’t see mold, there’s always a chance it’s growing somewhere in your home. Having a professional mold test is the only surefire way to determine whether your home is mold free.
What Can You Do About Mold In Your Air Ducts?
Whether you locate mold in your ductwork or your professional test comes back positive, removing those growths from your living space is paramount. Each time your HVAC system turns on and circulates air throughout your home, it forces additional spores into the air you and your family breathe. And, as you can probably imagine, inhaling mold isn’t exactly great for your health. To get started with your mold removal mission, here’s what you should do:
● Duct cleaning. Professional air duct cleaning removes dust, dirt, dander, pollen, mildew, mold, and other organisms from your home’s ductwork. Removing the mold from within your duct system helps ensure it doesn’t continually re-circulate throughout your home.
● Mold remediation. Depending on the severity and type of mold present, you may require the help of a mold remediation specialist, especially if you have allergies or other unexplained symptoms.
● A/C cleaning. Routine A/C cleaning helps ensure your HVAC system operates according to its design. Failing to maintain your air conditioner can result in excessive condensation within your HVAC system, which can encourage further mold proliferation.
Need Professional Air Duct Cleaning Services? Contact Dust Doctors Today
At Dust Doctors, we take pride in serving Twin Cities homeowners with high-quality duct cleaning, HVAC cleaning, and indoor air quality improvement services. If you’re dealing with dangerously dirty ductwork and need a professional duct cleaning service you can trust, we’re the team to call. To learn more about how we can service your ductwork and help you improve your indoor air quality, give our team a call at 651-319-1777 or reach out to us on our contact page. For your convenience, you can also request your free quote online!
Contact Us for More Information